View Single Post
Old 08-03-2002, 02:54 PM
debbiemarlow

We bolted THREE wires to the alternator?

For those who've heard THIS tale of woe, forgive me, but I've yet ANOTHER problem I could use some mechanical wisdom to solve.

The "new" '72 220D has another slight problem. There are three wires going to or coming from the alternator and to stop the alternator light from glowing "we", I guess, twisted these 3 wires together and affixed them to a bold either on the alternator or voltage regulator. Why would "we" do that?

Is there a wiring schematic on the internet or Mercedesshop.com that I, a novice, can decipher. I know the wires go somewhere else. BUT, WHERE? The wires can be seen if looking straight down behind the radiator, on radiators far left side. It is situated so that when the tire is turned to the right that it can be seen through a hole looking into the engine area from the tirewell.

I think these 3 wires have something to do with my battery discharging so quickly. But, I could be wrong.

And since I'm fairly sure I don't know what I am talking about here I recognize it's extremely difficult to clearly, intelligently, even get my question asked... I hope I can make SOME sense.

As always, any assistance appreciated!! (ASAP, please, as I have to head out early in the morning).

Debbie