View Single Post
Old 08-03-2002, 05:29 PM
RON FINLAY

Ron - my advice is to run, not walk AWAY, from a 124 300D ,or even E for that matter. I am stuck with one purchased used and it has been a money pit. I am sure there are many who would disagree with me. I wanted another D as I have a 75 300D, which has not given me any major problems, other than replacing rubber parts, shocks, etc..

From my experience and others I have heard, the AC evaporator, not condenser, is a big problem with these cars, D or E. They were hung from a sky hook and the car built around it. At least 12 hours shop time and $500 (shop price) for the evap. Then you will probably have to replace the ac manifold ($400-500 shop price + labor) and other ac hoses. These are prices at the shop I frequent. I had the ac manifold and other ac hoses replaced and then found out the evaporator leaked.

Before buying one, have it checked for freon leaks. I would think if the condenser is leaking, it show up in the cabin. Also, original rear thrust/control arms were weak, and probably need replacing. Not expensive items, but adds to overall cost

Some have said that the B2 piston in the tranny should be replaced as it fails and forward gears are gone. I believe these are common to the both 124 and 126, but on the 126, it can be gotten to w/o removing the tranny.

If you can find a 123 300D esepcially 82 or older (believe 82 was last year hand built) in good condition, and mechanic checks out, buy it.

Many consider the 126 to be the last great MB, but I am sure many will debate this. Size and ride wise, there are way above the 124. As for the ac evaporator, I think they have problems too, but not sure. I would consider a 126.

Again, just my thoughts and I am jaded with the experience I have had with my 87 300 D.

Ron