View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleavster View Post
Hello Everyone:

The Check Engine light came on due to a broken vacuum hose between the EGR valve and the small pipe that fed to the Switchover Valve. Replaced hose and then these codes came back on. The following codes were pulled from the car:

DM:
5: Exhaust gas recirculation faulty

Pin8:
39: Exhaust gas recirculation switchover valve - open/short to ground or B+

I already did the following procedures:

(1) Pulled Vacuum on the EGR side and caused the car to stall.
(2) The EGR pipe was cleaned 8 months ago.
(3) Wireharness replaced 18 months ago.
(4) Replaced Switchover Valve last year since I had the same codes as before.

I could not believe that the switchover valve broke after a year and I did hear the switchover valve click once I placed voltage on it. Just in case, I went ahead and ordered a new one and replaced it. Cleared the codes and the car seem to respond well (it's probably my imagination) and then, the CE light came back on with the same codes. Arrrggggh!

Is it possible that I may have a defective part? Anything else? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Clive
I'm not the smartest guy, so you may not want to listen to this but... When I first bought my 1995 wagon it had 87,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from said the check engine light would come on within a few weeks because of a faulty exhaust sensor (I think that is what he said). Sure enough, it did. So I brought it back and had him disconnect the check engine light somehow. I have 197,000 miles on the car now and never once had an issue related to that sensor. I listen to my car and pay attention to how it drives. I watch the oil pressure gauge etc... Never had a problem. When it runs rough I check the engine.

My 2 cents