View Single Post
Old 08-04-2002, 06:08 PM

$327 for the lens on the instrument gauge? That's outrageous. I'd look on eBay for a used instrument gauge. They're there all the time, especially if the same lens will fit 126 chassis vehicles.

Reminds me of when I cracked the rear window in the hardtop while taking it off one day. I was pretty irritated, and figured it would be $200-300. Called the dealer, $810 for the glass alone (and there are no aftermarket dealers for the glass). Called a local Mercedes salvage yard and he could sell me a new one for $540, or a used one for $350.

So, I tried to buy a complete hardtop on eBay, only to find out that to ship one from NY to Texas was $235. I started looking for hardtops on eBay that were close enough for me to drive and pickup myself.

After several months, I bought one in Dallas for $150, 3 hours away. Then I found out that it wouldn't fit in the back of my Suburban, so I had to borrow a pickup from my cousin to go get it.

So now I have two hardtops, one black and one silver. I've wondered what the silver one would look like on my black car, but I've never put it on. As soon as I've taken care of higher priority things, I'll switch the rear windows and start parting out the silver hardtop.
1984 500SEC Anthracite Grey/Palomino