View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Mercerator

Ok.
These are the key settings

Off - Accessory - Run - Start

The tumbler needs to be in accessory for the access hole to be over the release hole.

there is a small hole in the aluminum cover to the tumbler. that is the access hole.

You need to take a flashlight and see if the small hole is over the tumbler release hole. If it is then you are golden...just stick a stout paperclip in there and when you feel it detent, then turn the black shroud surrounding the tumbler.

Do not drill the the tumbler. Do not drill the tumbler. do not drill the tumbler.

Me feeling is that if you can jump the starter then you are in "run" and not "accessory".

That being the case, go ahead and order a new tumbler from the dealership. (it comes with the key, its like 75$.)

then examine the tumbler.

worst case is you will need to drill a small hole in the aluminum cover that spins with the tumbler over the release hole. Once you have access to that, you can put your paperclip in and remove the shroud and tumbler. That black shroud is the only thing that is holding your tumbler up against the ignition switch. I'm going to go take some pictures for you.

Kent

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4733783&id=601553061

once you have a paperclip in that hole, then the big square on top will recede and you can spin the black shroud freely which will allow you to get install the new tumbler. Just get a new tumbler, unless it's been recently replaced, the leaves in your tumbler are probably very worn.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any further clarification on the extraction process.
Attached Thumbnails
81 300SD Broken Key in Ignition- Ignition not locked can drive-imag0127.jpg  

77' 300D, "Cartman" SOLD @ 150K (didn't know what I had)
83' 300SD, "The Superdon" 325k+ @ 28mpg
95 E320 wagon, "Millennium Falcon" 231k+ @ 24 Mpg
95 E300D, "Sherley" 308k @ 33.69 Mpg, currently anticipating a head
99 Suzuki Intruder "Trudy" @ 45 mpg

Last edited by thayer; 07-10-2010 at 10:39 AM.