View Single Post
Old 08-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Man of many masks

>>If you sand through the factory primer to bare metal, it must be primed within an hour at the most to prevent rust -- it will show red dust by the next morning around here.

OK so if this happens I should sand off the rust and primer the area shortly before being taken to get painted.

>>>Maaco, as I understand, does not do body work, they spray paint. They will cheerfully paint over your body work, but they don't do any. Period. Rust spots get painted. If you have a car in decent shape and don't expect the paint job to last forever, they will give you the best "cheap" paint job in the business, since they use the best paint. However, they will NOT edge out door frames, paint under trim, behind trim panels, etc.!

Not to split hairs but on their website it says"Welcome to MAACO Auto Painting & Bodyworks!". It does sound like their primary business is paint .. maybe each shop differs on offering body work?

Anyway I would have to talk to whoever and get a bid before any work gets done. So is a Maaco a palce you've taken a car to with the doors off and such or have you only used them for a coat of paint after sanding the outer body.

>>>My brother has always used DuPont DelStar polyurethane enamel with hardner. This isn't quite what MB uses (theirs is more expensive) and red oxide primer. He isn't fond of the gray primer, thinks it fails more often. We had a bunch of bad gray primer some years (30) ago that didn't stick to the paint --

Oh boy the never ending debate about primers.. good info though.