View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 PM
300SDL 265K

Quote:
Originally Posted by theref View Post
with electric fan/s, what did you do re the aux fan switch in the top front of the engine? The aux fan is in front of the radiator. Aside from its use with AC, it is my understanding that it also comes on when heat rises from load conditions. You may have replaced its functions with another electric fan, but the aux fan really reduces the temp when it comes on going up hills. And, if your new fan relies on that switch to turn on, you could have a bad switch which is very common. Also your definition of normal temp may be quite low. I have read that anything below ~110 is OK-but only under load.
I've got a 16" fan and a 10" in a steel shroud that is 1/2" above the radiator. They both kick on at 80C. My controller uses the MBZ temp sensor for its reference. The temp I read on my gauge matches my IR gun within a few degrees.
It seems worse since I installed the new radiator and thermostat, but, the ambient temperature has risen lately. Last few days its been 90-100F. AC sure works good...too bad it exacerbates the temp issue
Anyhow, once I get my home projects under controll and the stock market takes the dive, I'm betting on, I'll have the time and a few extra bucks to devote to Whitey.

After reading the troubleshooting guide, I'll investigate the air flow through the radiator. Although, at freeway speeds the fans are not the main source of cooling.