View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 AM
User Especial

Power Windows INOP 1986 W126 300SDL

Hello all. I have been working to get my power windows functioning again a few minutes here and there over the last month. Here is what happened along the way. I will update with more pictures over the next few days.

I purchased a 1986 300SDL in early June and had a few items to work out. This has been a little more involved than I had anticipated. The power windows were working perfectly when I started working on the first project.

First order was to get the climate fan to work w/o blowing the fuse. research lead me to installing an external 30 amp fuse. Opening the fuse box to expose the wiring, I found a melted, hacked mess. Unbolting the wires to #16, I decided to bolt them to an auto resetting 30amp breaker. All said and done, it worked.

While in "the mess", I tried to fix a few other wires.

and the fusebox from above.

W = Window relay.
red circle = #16 fuse Climate fan and #c,d power windows.
Green Arrows = phillips screws to open fuse box.

Other than the fuses being unreliable, I love the way this fuse box is modular. Each section detaches from the next. Relay plugs detach from the main body.
This is great for repair and/or upgrades and swaps.

I clearly need a new fuse box assembly. For now I am focused on making this a usable car and may tackle the fusebox project during the winter.

For now, allow me to continue.

The other day a friend was over for one of my 20-30 minute "try to fix the power windows" sessions. He suggested we start all over. This proved wise.

Note in this picture the coloured sections.

Quick over view.
Note upper right corner, Fuse 17 is energized when the key is in Run or on.
If there is power to one side of the fuse and the fuse is good,
power goes to the black/yellow wire that turns on the Window Relay.
With the Relay on, power is sent to Fuses 'c' and 'd' through the Red/Yellow wire.
From there, power moves on to the center console switches.

So we went back to the drawing board and started at fuse 17.

No power. (We may be on to something.... )

Opened up the fuse box and found there wasnt a feed wire to fuse 17 at all. I must have removed it accidentally while dealing with the earlier "mess".
As a test, I bolted the wire that goes from the fused side of #17 (and switches on the relay) to the protected side of the circuit breaker mentioned above.

Ta Da ! power windows. We heard the relay click and we new we were in business.

Carefully studying the wiring diagram gave me a good understanding of how the system worked. I dont know where all the wire are located, but I know how it works. Next will be to find the missing feed wire and then figure out why the moon roof also doesnt work. I am guessing same error on my part early on.

I am still looking for a set of leather seats for my 86 300SDL if anyone has a clean set. Email/PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Windows INOP 1986 W126 300SDL-power-window-wiring_86_126.jpg  
98 E300D *sold
86 300SDL *sold and made flawless 10 hour journey to new home.

Last edited by Renntag; 07-22-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: continuation. ....