View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
I have made some headway on the ignition switch. I now have it at the position to insert the tool to remove the tumbler. I made the tool up, but for the life of me it won't release, and I never heard the click you are suppose to hear when the tool has released the probe inside. My lock has two holes. Some threads say on this model only tool in the top hole to release the tumbler. I have installed in both ways to no avail. Any help to release this tumbler would be appreciated. Thanks!!
It's not clear from what you've written but you need to use a tool/s simultaneously in both holes. The are two levers in the black security cover, when these are both moved to release the cover will usually pop slightly forward/upward then the lock cylinder itself can be pulled out with the key in its place.

The FSM tool is U shaped so as to interface with both holes, if you use two separate tools its best to have them L shaped so that you can maneuver their angled tips around a little as you insert them.

P. S. I've made a tool fron one of the wires from a chef's wire whip/whisk, the dia. of it's wire was perfect and more importantly the U shape is about 12" long, that allows one to insert the two legs in the holes and the apply sufficient pressure and "jiggle" to assist moving its' tips past the the springs that secure the lock cylinder in place and then further into the mechanism to the release the levers which secure the black security cover. The usually available tool is about 4" long and can be had to use if things are not lined up and working perfectly in the 20 year old non-functioning mechanism.

Last edited by Billybob; 07-27-2010 at 03:25 PM.