View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Diesel User

First, don't put any grease in a lock, unless you plan to destroy it. Spraying some solvent in there is OK to clean it out or loosen things up. Something that may lubricate temporarily but evaporate is ideal. Locks should be lubricated with a dry lube, i.e. graphite.

This happened to me when I tried to use a key that the ignition was not "used to." I was lazy and didn't want to go upstairs and get key I usually use and used the one that I keep on the key ring for door opening. Well, the ignition lock behaved like you are describing for about a week. I had to "retrain" it with the key I usually use in the ignition for about a week, not taking it out at all. I learned not to take it out and just lock the doors. After a week, I reluctantly took the key out and actuated the ignition and it was just like it always was. Its been about a month since that happened and I haven't had a single issue with it since. No more wiggling, jerking, cussing, or eye rolling.

So, use some alcohol to clean out whatever is in there that anyone has suggested squirting in there, let it dry while you get some graphite dry lube from the hardware store. Take the key the ignition is used to, insert it, move the steering wheel to relieve any pressure on it and pretend your hand is a vibrating instrument and apply light torque on it. Hell, if you want, start wiggle the steering wheel side to side lightly hitting the steering lock. I think I recall doing that in times of desperation with success. If you get it to turn, don't take the key out for a while. Of course this is all if you plan not to buy another tumbler.

working on: aux electric fuel pump, coolant/fuel heat exchanger/filter head, afterglow, low oil pressure buzzer/LED

Last edited by samboyellowsub; 07-29-2010 at 06:59 PM.