View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
1983 240D auto

Are your 3/2 valves connected? The ones on top of your valve cover?

Some here have said that the transmission 3/2 valve doesn't need to be connected because the modulator should receive full vacuum. But most of those cars have a bowden cable. Since our cars don't have one, I think it relies on the throttle position which is connected to the 3/2 valve. If you take the plastic cover off, you can see as you increase the throttle, it will depress the tab on the 3/2 valve which changes the amount of vacuum going to the modulator. I'm in no way an expert on this subject, but am just giving you my observations having watched the changes in vacuum with a mity vac. If I floor the gas, it will stay in gear for longer, which is what you are looking for from what you said in your post.

Since there was no change in the way it shifted when you removed the vacuum line. I would suspect there is a leak either in a vacuum line, or in the 3/2 valve(if it is even connected). If you don't have a mity vac, it is a $12 investment that has saved me a tremendous amount of pain and suffering. Harbor Freight has em.

Last edited by chomptown; 08-05-2010 at 12:48 AM.