View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM

It's great when it works - but the unlimited stretches of Autobahn are fewer and further between. And you have to accept more rules and be more disciplined (as noted above).

I once got a speeding ticket for driving too fast when a "reduced speed limit" due to rain was posted. A friend was driving the car and blew off the electronic 90 kmh signs, but it was my car, so the photos and the ticket came to me.

But I've also driven the length of Germany, at night at high speed. Yes, the cruise control really does work at 130 mph. And you can make great time as long as you can go that fast, but it's usually only for limited distances. North of Hannover is flat, wide and fast. Frankfurt to Munich is much more limited.

You also have to know your car's limits. I was driving an Audi 200 turbo quattro going up hill at 130 mph (that was the "speed limit" for my car due to H rated tires, you can only legally go as fast as the slowest rated equipment for your car). I was passing trucks in the right lane when someone pulled out to also pass the truck. Suddenly I had 90 mph overtake on the car in front of me. Scrub off a lot of speed, let him pass the truck, I pass him... repeat x 3. On the third time I could feel my brakes fading due to heat, so I got over until they cooled then I got on it again.

The other cars passing the trucks were even driving okay. When someone is passing you at more than 90 mph over your speed they're not even a blip in your blind spot. If you're going to go that fast you need to be able to slow down just as fast.

And yes, the drivers on 35 and 1604 and 410 are almost all morons. Signal? Merge? Move over? Nah....not my problem...