Thread: Prius Question
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 11:47 AM

We've got a Gen 1 Prius with 105K on the odo -- my wife drives it mostly. It's been pretty trouble-free for 50K miles. The next time I take it in for service to change the inverter coolant (probably this fall) I'm going to ask them to check the battery terminal connections -- I read where spotty connections can contribute to reduced battery life.

The car gets about 43 mpg, mainly because it gets a lot of highway miles (it does better in town) and because I went to a plus-zero tire size. The car was dangerously unstable at highway speed with the original economy tire width. It cost a couple mpgs but reduced the worries about piling into an oncoming semi in a crosswind.

Beyond that, it has little sound deadening, for that "tin can" effect, and it's showing some rust on the passenger side door. It handles like a go-kart with the wider tires, but acceleration is "character-building." On the plus side, it's a little snowplow in the winter with Hakkapeliitta RSI tires.

The sound system is crap, the headlghts are crap -- did I mention that my wife is the primary driver?