View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
There are ways. . . . .

Is is glass or Royalex?
Glass. They call it Tuff-weave, but basically fiberglass. We were originally thinking Royalex, but in the end decided against it. It was heavier, and while better for heavy-duty whitewater, more than we needed for our purposes. The Kevlar offers even more of a weight savings, but not much in the way of color choices. We could have gone lighter weight in construction style even with the Tuff-weave, but liked the additional strength. Someday perhaps we'll opt for an ultralight weight canoe for different trips and/or reasons, but this one seemed to be the best all-around choice we could find. Save of course for other manufacturer's similar choices. There are several others we could have easily gone with, and likely been just as happy, but we've got no regrets.

Suginami, if you're familiar with the area, there's a good chance you've made it to the top of Bald Mtn... From which you can see Shaver nicely:

Seeing it for the Fourth of July fireworks over the lake is even nicer:

We're growing to like the area more and more. We're from Visalia, so it's a bit more northerly than the closest of the Sierras, but I think it's worth it. Our local mountains are mostly National Park, which I'm not too fond of, I prefer the National Forests. Dinkey Creek is one of our favorite spots. The store appears to be for sale, and that is certainly a tempting idea...

MV