View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
I've read that the interior of the pyramids reeks of stale urine as there's no place to go and you're way the hell inside and what can you do. But I've also heard about all the moisture from people's breath not being good for the inscriptions, paintings - whatever and I imagine water vapor from urine doesn't help matters any.
Yes, our guide told us that there is only one empty sarcophagus and not much else to see in there so we didn't go inside the pyramid but we did see a number of them (Cheops being the biggest one) along with the smaller outlying ones and of course the Sphinx - that was the highlight of the day.

It blew me away to think that it is this very same object that stood here in this spot for over 4500 years and that once the great Pharaos, Alexander The Great, and Napoleon all looked upon the very same object that I'm looking at right now... it was quite an amazing realization for me. The place is crawling with merchants that besiege you about every 200 yards. They want you to take a photo with them so you give them some... wait for it.... yes, you guessed it - money...

At one point I got so tired of their badgering that I started speaking Polish to them (my native language) hoping that I'll finally shake them off of me - I thought no one would be able to touch that - wrong: to my amazement one dromedary spoke back to me in the Polish language - I was a little shell shocked. His sentences were good and he was funny - unbelievable... I guess they learn all kinds of phrases in as many languages as they come in contact with... it just surprised the heck out of me and made me chuckle...

We finished the tour in Khan El Khalili market - there are just over 500 shops there and they all want to sell you something.. had quite a fun time bargaining with few shop owners for some trinkets that I need to take back home - it was fun but at times a bit trying. Oh and most of these shops stay open 24hrs a day... why you have to have trinkets available all 24 hrs I'll never know but there must be great demand for it there... it's something else.

We thanked our guide and he was off to the compulsory prayers at 12:30pm in the main mosque.
1995 Toyota Land Cruiser - 3X locked; 182K