View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Best get a small 4 cyl, not a 6, a 16yo doesnt need to start with the fastest car in the street !! A 240D would have been ideal but then I guess he wants something to impress others.
I offered him my 240D to use for free, but he wants something a little cooler so I told him he can pay for whatever car he wants. Round trip to school is about 80 miles per day so fuel economy is a concern. He seems to like the 190 style and they are plentiful and inexpensive, but I'm looking for some advice on things that are good and things to avoid. From what I have gathered so far there are three engines- the 2.3 4 cyl, the 2.6 6 cyl, and the diesel, and a 5 speed or an auto. (don't know if the 5 speed was available with all engines?). What are everyones experiences with these engines/ transmissions? Are there ones to be avoided and are they the same through the years, or are some better than others? I am all for a slower 4 cylinder with a manual trans if it is more reliable and gets better mileage, but if it's not up to the task then a 6 cyl or a diesel is OK to. For the record he is a very responsible young man who has already been driving for over three years. He even seems to be over cautious to me (which I don't discourage) probably from me telling him all the gory details of dead and maimed teenagers I have had to extract from mangled vehicles on our road. Like most kids his age he is not very financially realistic though, so I would like to have some info to save him from buying a turd. In the end it will be his decision and he will have to live with it, but I would like to be able to give him some advice so please keep it coming. Thanks. BTW- is there a website that has a history etc. of the 190?