Thread: Glass House
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 AM
"Illegal" 3rd Dist. Rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum525 View Post
I'm pretty sure the original Glass House is in CT but it's a damn site smaller then that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_House
PBS recently did a story about this place...some rich doctor-gal ordered the place designed and eventually, she and the designer had a major fall-out over it. She lived in it for a while, then sold it to some guy that had seen the stories about the place.

It apparently is along some river in Illinois (don't remember the area) and when it went on the market, there was some talk about someone buying it and moving it out of state...and of course, the local hysterical (pun intended) society got all a-twittered and started some "Save-The-Glass-From-Some-Out-Of-State-@55" campaign.

Never heard how it ended. The PBS piece seemed to have been produced a few years ago and there didn't appear to be a "final synopsis" that you usually see at the end of those documentaries.

If I remember correctly, the house is built on top of 8 or 12 pylon columns, hense it was able to survive some of the river-flooding that regularly occured in the area, but one or two recent floods even managed to surpass the original design standards and even that place got hit once or thrice.

Flood damage? $35M seems a bit too steep...even if it's not my own money.

M. G. Burg
'10 - Dakota SXT - Daily Ride / ≈ 172.5K
.'76 - 450SLC - 107.024.12 / < .89.20 K
..'77 - 280E - 123.033.12 / > 128.20 K
...'67 - El Camino - 283ci / > 207.00 K
....'75 - Yamaha - 650XS / < 21.00 K
.....'87 - G20 Sportvan / > 206.00 K
......'85 - 4WINNS 160 I.O. / 140hp
.......'74 - Honda CT70 / Real 125

“I didn’t really say everything I said.”
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ Yogi Berra ~