View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Need Help With Some Computer Issues

I bought a new Computer (tower only). When I opened the Box there was no operating system discs supplied (Windows 7 preium).
All the Computers I have ever bought came with the above.

I called the store and was told that Computers no longer come with the operating system discs. (I am guessing that this applys to the cheapie ones.)

So when I returned the computer I was told that there is a program and I could have made my own copy of the operating system.

My question is; is this a program speciffically to copy the operating system or was the Tech speaking of the normal "Back Up" program that computers have?

What happend to my Old Computer: I opened it up to clean it as I have done many times in the 10 years I have owned it. This time I somehow managed to kill it.
Everthing seems to be plugged in properly.
A simple check of the Power Supply has it functioning.

But, when I turn the Monitor on it turns itself of (the monitor is good; I am using it right now on a different computer).
So when the computer is on nothing shows on the monitor.
There is zero beeps from the Computer.
Only the power on light shows; the one that blinks on and off when the computer is processing something is not on.
It will not boot up to a disc.

My initial thoughts were I have an issue with the monitor connector on the motherbhard (maybe it got yanked while I was pulling thecomoputer out). But, when I took out the motherboard it did not appear cracked or damaged.

Static. Maybe I killed my CPU as I cleaned a lot of dust out of the Heat Sink Fins with a Q-tip, Tooth PIck and a squeeze bulb typ thing to blow air.
I have seldom used a Static Strap attached to my wrist and have never had any issue with that before.

Any comments or speculations appreciated.

I forgot to mention that the issue I have with comying the operating system is that I have done a fair share of making CDs and some DVDs and have found sometimes there is errors on them.
If you make a copy of your operating system you will not find out if you have an error on it until you need it!