View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Just finished The Rage Against God: How Atheism led me to Faith. He's the brother of Christopher. Curious as to whether any theists here have read it. My impression is that it is not as powerful as his brother's. His chapter about how God is necessary for morality is very weak in my view. The brothers are similar in that in later life they both became strong nationalists, one English, one American.
it's a strange logic. i.e. my imaginary idea of god helps make me ... a more moral person? perhaps it's better to focus on the here and now.

i believe peter is some tory/conservative too. there's a whole strange psychology to these folks. they have internalized the authority figures they grew up with, and as they get older, they begin to ape them. much harder to confront one's "teachers", either literally or mentally, and separate from them. it's a lonely path that not all are able? willing? to tread.