View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumPI View Post
But EFI can be tuned for a perfect map all the time for increased efficiency and power, not just under enrichment. CIS went away for a reason. It's just nostalgia for it's own sake. Heck, why not swap in a fully mechanical fuel injection setup and remove those dang ol' computers altogether! I don't know. Do what you want, but any serious tuner goes standalone. Because there's hardly any reason not to...

However, might swapping in parts from other CIS cars have some benefit? Like Volvo turbos or something? I'm sure there's something else out there designed more appropriately for turbos and more fuel that ran that system.
Then consider yourself a "serious tuner"...

I'm just a neophyte, never been serious but like the challenge of taking a stock "antiquated" platform and getting almost 400ftlb torque at the flywheel at 7lbs boost...

To me doing "period" mods tends to maintain value on certain cars...
Bastardize and you may go faster but you end up with a money pit and a car that only a "serious tuner" with less then deep pockets will consider...
I have more then one mid five figure offer from other "non serious tuners", more purists to purchase my build when complete...
Oddly enough have no reason to sell...

My TT runs, is reliable and is fast...no need to constantly fiddle and no chance of trashing a motor like most of the EFI turbo posts I see on the thread...

If I want to go very fast round and round and outperform even the mega HP older platforms with EFI, I just drive my Black Series...
Different cars for different purposes...that's what us less then serious tuners do...

But again, I'm an amateur compared to you serious guys...
I'll remain in the world of getting the most out of a platform as when the platform was new...
Perhaps it takes a bit more skill doing this, but what do I know?
1994 E320 CABRIOLET
1999 C43 AMG
2005 G55K AMG
2008 CLK63 AMG BLACK SERIES