Thread: Hit and run!!
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Arrow 1990-1991 560SEC/SEL repairs CHEAP !!!! (pic's included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandYaghtLover View Post
Well I want a few high estimates then go from there. I would prefer a used lens anyway, unless I can find a new PAIR. Otherwise they will not match in color, especially the back-up light portion. And the prices for parts were indeed "new dealer items".

In the end I will probably have a friend repair it for much, much less. One restores Studebakers - his son actually runs the national museum. And the other has a shop pertaining to street rods. They are both about perfection. So either the way my just acquired Benz will look good again!

I had to go and repossess this 1990 560SEC (seen here, after I fixed it up, in May...)

When I recovered it, it was a mess. The rear bumper was utterly ruined, she had tried to take out a pole, (unsuccessfully) when backing up.

A junkyard search, netted a replacement rear bumper for $68 !!!!

In good condition, too, even the correct color, smoke silver !!!

Easy install, right there at the junkyard !!!

Before:

During:

After:

Voila !!!!! Almost as good as new !!!

As for the taillight, I agree, check the shade on the backup light lens before buying a used one.

You could find one in good shape at any junkyard; probably for about no more than $20 for one, or double that for a matched pair, of them.

But be careful, -- the tail light seal needs to be perfect!!! It is a VERY common problem when they rot, or don't seal perfectly, that water leaks into the trunk through he tail light seal on this model.

When it rains, check how it runs down the roof, into the trunk drains and empties out on both sides of the license plate. This is why your tail light and its seal ALWAYS needs to be in perfect condition!

(seen on the coupe here, the night I repossessed it in May this year; cleaned and repaired where needed and now with a new owner in Florida.)

Late picture taken shortly before shipment to Florida from here in June of this year:

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)