View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 PM

OIL LEVEL FLUCTUATION

I should have mentioned that I alway check the oil level when the car is in the garage which is level. Also it's always been at least a day since I last drove the car and often 2 or 3 days.

What's strange is that the oil level may increases or decrease from the previous reading or may stay the same.

The car does not seem to burn oil, the exhaust is clear except when I stomp on the pedal and smoke out tailgaters! Before the recent oil change I drove 5,000 miles on Mobil 1 without the need to add oil.

The reason I had the oil tested last year was that the oil level was gradually increasing so I suspected coolant or diesel fuel was getting into the oil but the tests did not indicate this was happening.

I usually check the oil level every 500-1,000 miles. Just when it seems to be getting low and I may soon need to add oil, I check it a few hundred miles later and the level is at halfway. Conversely, when the level seems to be getting too high, I check it again after a trip or two and the level has gone down. I did notice that the fluctuation seems to be greater when there is more oil. It doesn't seem to fluctuate as much when the oil level is less than 1/2 full.

Rick,

1987 300TD