View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Rogue T Tolerant

New instrument cluster gauge and higher operating temp?

I've been at school for about 2 weeks now and I probably should have posted this about a month or two ago when I installed the new gauge.

My 85's original gauge had it's oil pressure gauge break internally from me not correctly tightening it. I found a man in town who had an 82 300D that he was parting out so I picked up the three way cluster instruments and reinstalled it into my 85.

Everything look ok, but I noticed that my temp gauge was running a little hotter than normal. Instead of running between 80-90*C it was running between 90 and 100*C.

I figured it was the gauge so I didn't think much of it however after recently coming back to hilly Ithaca in this unseasonably high heat the gauge has been peaking upwards to 100*C which has reasonably worried me. The temp drops quickly if I let off the go pedal.

I want to think everything is normal, but the over compulsive repairer in me has me thinking.

When I start the car, the gauge pegs up towards 60*C (roughly 136*F) which is nowhere near the ambient temperature or around 85*F which has me leading more towards bad sensors or an odd 3 way instrument cluster. Any ideas about this?

On a side note, I discovered my indy mixed in green coolant instead of normal white. When I look in the expansion tank the coolant is white. In the upper radiator hose the color is a distinct green. I'm a bit miffed about this so I will be doing a coolant flush and refill sooner rather than later.