View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Hey Kerry and Diesel911,

Is this just for a turbo set up or is it also the same for a non turbo motor?

I'm not quite sure how this could be...

The FSM says that if you have oily messy pre-chambers it could either be valve seals or the vacuum pump - does this mean that the route of the oil would be

1) In through the valve guides - past the seals - into the cylinder (the obvious one)
2) Past the vacuum pump - into the injector pump - and in through the fuel mixture

Am I barking up the right tree?
The whitish smoke caused bay a coolant leak/head gasket issue and from the late Fuel Injection Timing can be on any Diesel Engine Turbo or not.

In the book I read when you see white smoke due to unburned Fuel what is making it white are the little particles of Diesel Fuel.
In the case of late/retarded timing the I experienced on my Volvo the Fuel was being injected at a point after there was not enough heat to burn most of it.

Some of the Engines made not to have a Turbocharger may have a Mechanical type Governor (like the Engines with a Turbocharger) or may have a Pneumatic Governor that works off of the vacuum in the Intake Manifold.
In the Factory Service Manual I believe I saw a Fuel Injection Pump for a 5 cylinder that had a Pneumatic Governor on it and in the same section the also showed one with a Mechanical Governor on it.

So the comments concerning the Vacuum Pump are for a Non-turbo Engine where the Vacuum Pump has a tube going to the intake manifold.