View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly

Didn't take any pictures of reassembly, since I was rushing in to watch the Longhorns. It was pretty simple, though.

When the caliper is rotated up, the pad carrier stays in place. Slide the new pads in where the old ones come out. I brushed a lot of dust off before I put new pads in. Also put a dab of grease on the edges of the pad backing.

The little rubber booties on the sliding pins were in good shape, so I didn't replace them. I already had the parts kit on hand, though. The universal kit is about $5 at AutoZone.

To retract the piston, I used a C-clamp and one of the old pads. My daughter watched the level in the brake fluid reservoir when I did this for the passenger side, since I couldn't see it from there. I did not need to remove any fluid when I did both sides on the front, but it is pretty full, and I expect to take some out when I do the back brakes later. Part of my strategy is to go to a brake shop and let them flush and fill the system, so I'm not stressing over the fluid too much at this point.

We'll see if I get to the rear brakes after the game.

Tom