View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 AM

May have found another alternative at the gun show. Old gent had a Remington Model 11-48 automatic in 16 gauge, plain barrel, Modified fixed choke.

The 11-48 was the precursor to the 1100 and 11-87. It was the successor to the Model 11, Remington's look-alike version of the Browning A-5. They were made from 1948 until the late 60's. Basically, they were a streamlined/modern looking version of the Model 11/Browning A-5, with the same mechanics and long recoil action inside.

Looking on the shotgun forums, these guns have an excellent rep, extremely reliable, several posters having used the same gun for 40 years or better with nary a problem, noted for having excellent handling. The one I handled at the show had good balance and weight, came right up to my shoulder with a good sight picture.

The wood, metal, and blueing on this one was still in good condition. Price tag he had on it said $395, but after talking with him for a while about various gun-related BS, he indicated he would be willing to dicker on the price. Him having a similar liking for 16 gauges, and me having my "Retired Navy" ballcap on seemed to help matters.

And stopping by the closest Walmart tonight, what should I see but several full cases of 16 gauge shells at $79/case.

And strange enough, another gent had a brand-new out of the box Stoeger Condor O/U in 16 gauge 28" barrels - the retail stores that carry Stoegers don't stock 16 gauges - so I was able to get a good look and feel for my original 16 gauge pick. Nice enough gun, especially considering $375 new he was asking, but even with a factory-installed rubber recoil pad, the stock seemed a tad on the short side - half of the times I threw it up to my shoulder, I was way above the rear sight. Plus I don't really care for a single trigger on a double gun - and the forums are full of complaints from people that have had problems with misfires and such on single-trigger Stoegers - that's why I went with the lower-end double trigger version of the Uplander 20 gauge S x S I have.

A couple other items sorely tempted me - like a post-70's (Japanese made) Browning A-5 12 gauge in like-new condition with a full set of chokes for $500, and a Browning Gold Hunter 20 gauge also in like-new condition with a full set of chokes for $500.

But then you also had the typical scam artists - at least 3 dealers had old beat up field grade Browning A-5 16 gauges with plain barrels and no engraving on them, but had a price tag on them claiming they were Sweet Sixteens and asking $800 to $1000. I imagine if they found a sucker to buy those guns, they would have been "sweet" sixteens to them at least! Sorry guys, but I know what a REAL Sweet Sixteen looks like.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club