View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Diesel Weasel

Actually a 2.3 liter 5 speed in my 1989 Ranger got 24 mpg all day long at 105hp rating and 135 lb/ft torque. A fairly strong OM617 is rated at 125hp and 170 ft/lb of torque. So, I would still maintain that these year model Rangers (especially regular cab short beds) could see well into the 30s for fuel mileage if gearing, age and wear, etc., etc. are taken into account. But, I will agree that stepping down year models, in terms of engines may be restrictive. BUT, remember the Clean Air Act did not regulate particulate emissions until later, so who knows?. I am unclear as to when diesels even had to meet more stringent requirements - as OM617s from 81-85 had an EGR valve (possibly earlier - someone correct me if I am wrong).

OR

Like I said, know someone who has an inspection license. I am not condoning illegality, and I am not saying it is right to ask someone to go out on a limb and risk their license, BUT, they are out there and do it all the time for these purposes. I know of a few in my area that inspect non OBDII vehicles that I KNOW would NEVER pass, given a legit look-over and they come out with a passing inspection.

"Spark plugs?...We don't need no stinking spark plugs!"
1985 300SD "Der Silberne Schlitten" 420,000 mi

Wish these were diesel:
2003 Ford Club Wagon 130,000 mi