View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=farmfuel;2542346]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
Also the missing symptom you describe can be a Faulty Glow Plug.

Thank you so much for the links. I wasn't aware that there was a valve adjustment; I figured they were hydraulic lifters. I'm looking forward to working on this engine.

I was thinking the same thing about the glow plugs, but usually you'd see white smoke due to a bad glow plug in a cylinder, and it's still upper 90's over here in the Dallas area. This makes me think the glow plugs aren't to blame. I haven't noticed any white smoke, but the missfire seems to last a while- well past the point that it would take a cylinder/prechamber to warm up.

If the injectors are indeed a maintenance issue, I might as well go ahead and get it knocked out. I'll be checking into that valve lash adjustment as well; thanks for the reccomendation.

You can't spit without hitting one of these OM617 powered Benz' out here at the wrecking yard, so I might go grab some spare parts this weekend. I wonder how much it costs to overhaul an IP?

Fuel Injection Pump overhaul is like $1200 and up. But, as you said there is a lot of used Mercedes in your area.