View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
I am chasing down an air leak and I think the source of it is the primer pump. It is the upgraded black body pump I put in 2 years ago but I think it's junk being $10. I want to eliminate it altogether and just use a mighty vac to prime when needed. The primer pump sucks anyway because you have to pump it 150 times for it to do anything and that is ridiculous. Do I just plug the hole up vacated by the primer pump? Has anyone done that?
I am going to remove mine for the same reason. I will be adding a electric boost pump back at the tank to raise the primary fuel pressure and help feed the lift pump.

I considered putting a ball valve between the primer and the lift pump to isolate the primer, but that would be bulky and not at all sightly.

I am going to make a plug that screws in the primer hole and extends down into the piston return spring cavity because I do not want air to be trapped in the top the threaded primer cavity. I have an old lift pump to design from and need to refresh my recollection of what it should look like, but I think if you just screw a regular plug in the threads, you will get air trapped under the plug.