View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 PM

FOR SALE: 1997 Mercedes-Benz SL500

FOR SALE

1997 SL500
74,100 miles (as at 9-16-2010)
Black convertible top w/hardtop and stand

Richmond VA

Purchased this as a project vehicle. It was nice before I bought it, and I have completely fixed all of the issues listed on the PPI I had done (at the time of purchase, just before I titled it on July 10, 2010). Buying nice and selling excellent defines my hobby. At least that is always my sincere goal.

This vehicle has all the normal power options in an SL, also with heated seats.

It is NOT a "Sport" edition. It has the regular 225/55R16 alloys, with Bridgestone Potenza tires with about 75% life remaining.

Black convertible top. Exterior color #189, Black Opal Pearl (metallic), with Cream Beige leather interior. The exterior, despite the name, is actually a deep dark metallic blue. All interior upholstery elements are in very nice to excellent condition. No carpet stains, no rips or tears, although the driver seat bolster is stressed a little on the entry side after 13 years, but still perfectly good.

The engine and 5-speed electronic transmission are, in my humble opinion, the best part of this vehicle. I replaced the (worn out, 13-year) engine mounts and steering shock, and it turned the steering and drive-train from very smooth to unbelievably smooth. The engine/transmission combination is sought after, 2nd model year, incredibly smooth, and very powerful. I have had the engine/transmission checked out and apart from re-sealing the driver's side cam advance solenoid (from leaking oil), I needed to do nothing to that important part of the vehicle. The only other thing I did under the hood was replace the hood liner pad. Not a very nice job to replace a failing pad, but the final result is gorgeous!

I replaced most of the interior and exterior illumination bulbs, which were noted on the PPI as needing replacement. All now work except for one bulb on the center vent wheel (pass side), because it appears the entire assembly has to be replaced to fix that incredibly minor issue. It remains the only and singular bulb on the entire vehicle that doesn't light properly.

The dealer wanted $1,046 to replace the interior rear view mirror because the unit was loose. It isn't any more, and the cost was only my time. They wonder why some call them "stealers!"

I completed the 75K service (early) but as you will realize, that isn't much of a service anyway.

Still some stuff that isn't perfect. I noticed an audible "ticking" sound from within the A/C blower compartment, and I have a blower assembly (from a parted out SL600) coming to replace that. I also have a (plexiglas) lens coming from the same vehicle, because I was stupid enough to crack the existing one, even using the dealer-supplied removal tools; made the job of bulb replacement somewhat more expensive than anticipated. Sigh... the joys of DIY! The rain sensing wipers seem to have a mind of their own, and while the wiper controls work flawlessly, this automatic feature is spasmodic.

The convertible top mechanism works flawlessly, and the quality of what is the original top is very good for its age; however there are a couple of wear spots. The plastic windows are pretty good and clear. The hardtop is excellent, and I have a special stand for it. Even with the convertible top in place this SL is "tight." With the hardtop on, it is hard to imagine you're driving a convertible; there are simply no sounds or squeaks, or movement. It is totally tight.

As part of this project, I replaced both of the hydraulic retainer mechanisms at the top of the windshield. The driver's side did leak a bit of hydraulic fluid. It is recommended to replace both sides; so I did. They're both in top quality condition and no hydraulic leaks exist today.

This is a 13-year-old vehicle, so it cannot be described as showroom quality, or even "really excellent," because there are always going to be things that an honest evaluation will uncover. I fixed everything from the July 2010 PPI. There might me more now. I don't think so, but there could be more things that will arise from another PPI, which I would encourage all prospective purchasers of any vehicle to complete. There's no better comfort than an independent inspection.

This is not a vehicle that can be defined simply by beating me up over the Blue Book value. I believe I have given an honest evaluation of the vehicle in my description above; but I'll tell you, I have spent most weekends for the past three months working on either cosmetic or mechanical elements, and truly believe this is a vehicle worth your consideration, especially if you're close by in the mid-Atlantic area, and can come by and see it. I am not interested in entertaining tire kickers, but will be happy to spend a lot of time around and under the car with someone that can appreciate what I have put into it, and is prepared in the end to make me an appropriate offer.

I will send photo's at your request.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration. Simon
Attached Thumbnails
FOR SALE: 1997 Mercedes-Benz SL500-img_0516.jpg  

1986 420SEL

2000 Porsche 911 Millenium Edition Carrera 4
2010 Lexus RX 350
2002 Kia Rio
2002 Hyundai Accent