View Single Post
Old 08-16-2002, 09:10 AM

Air distribution problem update

Hi all,

"I posted an update at the end of post"

Here is some more info on my air flow issue.

I've had the vacuum lines tested using a smoke machine that uses up to 15lb's of pressure and I think he said a coconut oil compound / mixture to help identify leaks. The mechanic said no leaks were found. I also noticed that when air flow starts to cut out of the center vents and redirected to the defrost vents it's done ether gradually or immediately, meaning:

Gradual air flow redirection observation:
- when air working and flowing through the center vents:
- air is starts at the center vents
- air then gradually flows to both the center and defrost vents with more air to the defrost vents
- air then cuts out on the center vents
- air flow direction keys do not work on the control panel once air is directed to the defrost vents
- when air cuts back to the center vents, its immediate and all the air flow direction keys work on the control panel

Immediate air flow redirection observation:
- when air is working and flowing through the center vents
- air is starts at the center vents
- air then immediately stops flowing from the center and is redirected to the defrost vents
- air flow direction keys do not work on the control panel once air is directed to the defrost vents
- when air cuts back to the center vents, its immediate and all the air flow direction keys work on the control panel

Any and all suggestions are welcome, I'm anxious to get this issue resolved. More so since the car gets really hot when the air get redirected to the defrost vents. Thanks for your help.

Ronin

Hi all,

Here is an update on this issue.

After several tests, my mechanic said that the vacuum distribution module, located inside the engine compartment on the passenger side of the car near the firewall was the issue. I had the module replaced and the problem persists, sooo were back to square one again. A few more observations on the issue, I'm not sure what is normal operation and what isn't so please forgive my ignorance.

- with the control unit off, outside air blows into the car from the side and defrost vents, it's very light but grows faster if the roof is open
- with the control unit off, on occasion, gusts of air hit the windshield and fog it
- once the windshield gets fogged, I can turn on the defrost and it works very well, I can then turn off the defrost and it stops without issue

Thanks all for reviewing this issue and any suggestions which can help fix this issue are welcome.

Ronin

Last edited by ronin; 08-27-2002 at 09:09 AM.