View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
...like a shield of steel

UPDATE:-

I've not seen this information on this forum before (disclaimer:- but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't here) so I thought I'd add the thoughts of this engine builder I've pumping for information.

This is regarding the rear crankshaft seal NOT THE FRONT ONE but nevertheless may be of interest to some...

According to this guy if the REAR crankshaft seal is incorrectly fitted a lot of heat can get build up that can speed the failure of the main bearing closest to the REAR crankshaft seal.

For rebuilding my engine (that I'm now about to embark upon) I have been told to carry out the following procedure for fitting a rear crankshaft seal.

1) Before you start with the seal - fit the crankshaft and tighten the mounts (make 'em tight but don't go as far as torquing them) and make sure that the crankshaft spins freely. Remove crankshaft and remember how freely it span.

2) Once you are ready to fit the seal - lubricate and place a new seal in block and do the "usual" trick with a hammer handle to gently push the seal into position

3) Cut the ends slightly proud and then with a punch tap these ends flush

4) Now refit the crankshaft - torque as specified - and make sure that that it spins as freely as before.

5) Repeat the necessary steps above to make sure that the rear crankshaft seal on the upper oil pan isn't restrictive.

It seems like a good plan to me. Anyone got any comments?
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!

Last edited by Stretch; 09-17-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling