View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM

"Check Engine" light on; part II; Update

Because this really goes into a new area i started a new thread. The fact the battery being changed shuts down so many things and the fact most techs do not reboot those items is a little weird. These items almost do not need to be monitored in reality because you don't have to have the computer tell you the seat does not adjust it not adjusting tells you that. However, it does open a box on what should be rebooted and hence the new thread-L

My last post in the original thread was:

I decided I would spend the money and take it to my MB private shop (since 1994.) rather than wing it in ignorance.
That was a good thing as it turns out
He used a dedicated laptop hooked to a big portable box which I am betting was not from Amazon.com LOL

Anyway, he starts noticing a few things and says:
"The battery was replaced"

I said yes, by the dealer and he said they never reset a bunch of stuff and most do not except for things like the windows and typical stuff people would miss but as an example the left front door module reads an open or shorted circuit. yet the items mentioned work fine just were not reset for the computer to monitor them.
It does know know if the wipers can operate (They operate fine)
A few other things like that which do not actually affect operation just the computer to monitor said operation.
He said this is common because of the extra time the techs just ignore them. If they stop working you don't really need the computer to tell you sort of stuff.
Not right but.

Anyway, the check engine light on thingy was (Not on the code list BTW):

P2075-002: Purge control system has a slight leak (Minor leak): Leak in hose connection or shutoff valve of activated charcoal canister (P0456) and
P2026-004 Y58/1 (Purge control valve) Open circuit/switchover valve permanently closed (P0444)
(I just love the notation "slight leak", the fact the computer knows the difference is very cool, IMO)

He said the other stuff the dealer ignored does not really matter but he will gladly take my money if I want it done.

I did want the Purge control taken care of and that will be done Tuesday.

I still ordered that scanner from Amazon and will see what it said when I plug it in and compare it to the print out (he also DLed all his data to my USB drive so i can save it to my E320 file)

L