View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Out of Garage Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Because you listen to rumors and old wives tales. Ask one of the rumor mongers to show you in writing where MB prohibits the machining of rotors.
My understanding is that they are made of a softer metal and therefore more effective at stopping. But this makes them last not as long.

I took mine to two different shops to see if they would machine them for me when I had a slight warp. The one guy where I take my cars for inspection told me that he cannot get a good smooth cut on them because the metal is too soft. I went to another guy I know who did some body work for me. He said something about how his machine could not hold them and keep them from chattering, I think he said. So after those two negative opinions, I decided to just get new ones. In reality, they are not all that expensive and probably close to what it would cost to have a set machined.

If I had the equipment to machine them, I would give it a try, but I do not. I would be curious to hear if anyone has had their rotors successfully machined. Certainly they were machined in the manufacturing process.
15 Subaru Outback 43K
11 Subaru Outback 67K
98 Ford Taurus 100K (Gertie - Was Grandma's - drove it to church and shopping - really) Daughter's car now.
30 Model A Ford 2 Door Sedan (Sold) 0-60 in . . . Never reached 60