View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 AM

I am as big a cheapskate as the next guy but I don't cut corners when it comes to brakes. My own personal policy on Mercedes cars is I always replace front rotors with every set of pads. I do this because I have found that the rotors are not all that expensive, and, often times even if the rotors have more meat on them than the FSM calls out for they will develop warping at some point in their lives. Warped rotors have a much more pronounced effect on the front than on the rear wheels so I just have accepted the fact that they should be done every time front brakes are done.

Now rears are the place where you could use some judgment and save some money as long as they are in good shape. Personally I replace them every time too (because historically the rears last about 2X as long as the fronts) but each time I have done it I felt it was probably overkill.

The bottom line is this...if your rotors aren't worn out and aren't warped you don't have to replace them, but front brakes work hard and if your time is worth anything and you are as annoyed by warped rotors as I am you will just learn that it is good practice to simply replace them every time - at least up front.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz