View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE_V View Post
Does that mean that if I can remove the unit and turn it I can possibly remove the broken piece my self? Is there an opening at the back of the ignition lock? what do you mean trun the key to position 2?
Yes if you can turn the ignition switch to the #1 position, then you insert the proper tool or a reasonable DIY facsimile into the two holes on either side of the lock cylinder. When the tool is used it first compresses a spring which unlatches the lock cylinder and when the tool is pushed deeper into the mechanism both prongs of the tool move two spring loaded levers inward unlatching the black security cover. The security cover must be unlatched and removed first for the lock cylinder to be removed.

The best results depend on obtaining of fabricating a good tool. The diameter of the tool material and particularly the angles formed on the tool's ends can be the difference between relatively easy success and much difficult frustration.

If and when you get the lock cylinder out you can easily push the broken key section out of it, and make use of a spare key. Of course you'll eventually have to address the reason your key broke but that's another issue.