View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 PM

SHOCKED!!! MB ABS braking

Tonight I was driving home in LA in the rain. There were spurts of rain and wet road combined with stop and "really go!" traffic. I am a fast, impatient California driver who has never been in an accident since I've been driving now for 28 years. Tonight, I don't recall why, but all of the sudden the lane in front of me had come to a dead stop and I was going 65+. There was no out to another lane for me (I always have my bail out strategy in place and available) so all I could do was hit the brakes hard. As I was slamming my foot to the floor board, I was wondering what kind of pile up would ensue from me rear ending the driver in front of me and him dominoing into the cars ahead since I was going too fast to slow down in time and being too close for a safe brake....but then...NOTHING!!! My 1991 300e stopped on a microchip, no skidding, no sliding (on the oil filled pavement)...just a rrrrrmmmmm....stop with room to spare. SAFE!!! WOW!!! WHAT?!?! My 2005 Nissan Altima SER would have bashed into the car in front of me with the latest ABS system available!!! I am blown away...Mercedes Performance....oh yeah!!!

SP