View Single Post
Old 08-19-2002, 07:48 PM
'94 S500: only 793 sold!

OK, need to 'fess- up' . . .

When I said that I tried the mod, I really "simulated" it!

As an engineer, we do things that give answers without having to do the full bananna. We do that by simulating it! So too with this.

Since my 8mm drive was too 'deep' to fit in the small area between the radiator and VFC, I used bailing wire (coat hanger) and lock the fan to the bolts on the fan pulley. BTW, if anyone is interested in this mod, this is a good way to see if you like it without all of the hassle removing the VFC. There's enough room to reach down and work the wire around the fan blades and bolts.

If you try this, MAKE SURE THAT YOU BEND THE WIRE ENDS AROUND TO FORM A KNOT BOTH ON THE BLADES AND BOLTS. THEY WILL COME LOOSE IF NOT DONE!

I used the wire in two (2) places; one on each side of the four bolts. It is very strong. Then took the car up to highways speeds of 80mph (about 2800rpm).

However, the air-noise was VERY loud (look back 16 posts!) and it is NOT the same when the proper mod is done. Yes, it's loud but there's a different timber to the noise done with bailing wire.

At 650prm (idle) it's almost not noticable. If you didn't know that it was there, you would not suspect or hear any objectionable noise. At 2000rpm, it was just a loud air rush.

So bottom line, it is a keeper. The picture posted (back 12 posts) is what I used. I made this little difference: the screw is adjusted so that the "pin" is not fully out. Pin fully out is full engagement of VFC.

What exact difference this makes (if any!) is not clear at this writing. It's a good mod. Tnx to Stu Ritter and Neil for bringing it to our attention.

I'm still working to replace the bms with a lower temp version.

I've added a section to my web page showing more details.
http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_S500.html Menu #19.

Visit my Mercedes Web Page

Last edited by JimF; 08-20-2002 at 01:20 AM.