View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 AM

E420 Driver's Door/Overhead Light

My overhead light (near the rear view mirror) is not automatically turning off after I close and lock the driver's side door with the key. The light switch is in auto (full forward) as it normally is. The red warning lights (seat belt, etc.) under the overhead light continue to flash as well. I also noticed that the rest of the doors are not locking when I lock the driver's side door with the key. When I reopen the door and move the light switch back a few clicks to get it to turn off (even with the door open), the red lights stop flashing after I lock the door.

Where should I start on this? All the fuses seem to be okay.

A possible related issue occurred last week when someone dropped a penny from the ash tray into the hole for the cigarette lighter (I don't smoke, so I removed it and I keep change in the ash tray) and blew the fuse #1. All the power windows stopped working until I removed the penny and replaced the fuse. Now the windows work fine.

Is it possible that the cigarette lighter shorted out some sort of relay or circuitry that is now causing the overhead light/door issues? The radio is no longer working either, but I'm not sure if that happened last week with the penny in the cigarette lighter or today with the door/light malfunction. In any case, the radio will not turn on and the antennae will not move.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.