View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM

Problem with Rear Interior Lights on W124 Estate.

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem with the Interior Lights in 'D' and 'C' Pillers. When I open the tailgate the rear interior lights work as normal when the tailgate is around half open the rear interior lights go out and I noticed the number plate lights come on briefly just before the tailgate is fully open. If I've got the headlights on the number plate lights will go out at the halfway point and turn back on when I close the tailegate at the halfway point.

When I shut the tailgate the rear interior lights turn on again when the tailgate is half way closed then turn off as normal when the soft close has finished.

The light will operate normally when I turn them on with the switch on the dash.

I noticed a couple of switches near the boot lock motor, when I removed the tailgate trim, do these activate the lights when you pop the tailgate?

Not sure where to start to diagnose the problem and find out if it's a broken switch. The wiring did look ok, couldn't find any visible breaks near the hinges. But I'm going to take out the plastic headlining and D pillar trims at the weekend for a closer look. Never had any problems with the wiring and the car hasn't been messed around with. It's never had an alarm and the factory IR locking/unlocking works fine.

Thanks