View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 07:16 PM

Just a little update: Thanks to Billybob, Timfreeh and hanno, I have been able to make some strides using the factory tools. Everything is off the replacement subframe, and I spent over an hour yesterday sanding, degreasing and scrubbing clean the frame. Tomorrow I'll touch up with black POR15. For the most part the frame looks good.

I did have to sawzall off one arm where the bolt had frozen to the bushing. And the front subframe mounts, even with the official tool, were a bear (but boy did that tool make the rear ones easy!!) ... one of them exploded and shot black oil in every direction. I had wondered if the mounts had a fluid in them like the motor mounts, but wouldn't have expected a thin black oil.

Anyhow, after the center of each bushing was out via the tool, I used a punch, screwdriver and pry bar (plus torch) to carefully pry out the shell of the bushing. The large bushings came out great.
So, after the paint dries I'll put all the new bits on the frame. Of course the intimidating part is actually dropping and replacing the frame on the car. I'm debating putting that part off until the end of the month. I have a trip to Virginia (four-hour drive) I'd like to make on Oct. 26 and 27, and I know if I drop the frame I'll likely have several delays and won't have the car for then. On the other hand, I hesitate to drive it so far with the diff mounts in such poor condition. It drives great, other than drifting a bit at 70-80 mph. But still, kind of worries me. I'd like to work up the guts to drop it this weekend, but knowing how things go with me, something will get stuck, broken, lost ... and the car will be up on jackstands for three weeks.
One step at a time ... I'll post an update when I get the replacement frame done.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)