View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Moderator Incarnate

Weigh Stations....

Hey guys,
I just cannot make heads or tails of this and I doubt I'll get a defined answer here either. I've been searching all over the internet and I hear sooo many mixed opinions, don't stop, must stop, maybe stop if...

Here's the facts.... I bought a Chevy 3500HD truck with a 15' box on the back for moving copiers for my business. It has a curb weight of like 12K pounds. I don't have or need a CDL or a DOT number. I'll probably put on 10K miles a year moving copiers, so very little use. The truck is registered in FL and the guy who picked it up for me did not stop for weigh stations.

I hear people say, "Stop anyway, better to be safe than sorry." Then I hear, "If you do stop you'll be asked for log books and medical cards and they'll fine the hell out of you."

I also hear it's different from state to state.

Now, I have been driving these type of trucks for YEARS and have never stopped for passing a weigh station, however, there was this one time I got pulled over when I was 18 working for my former employer for blowing a weigh station in Michigan and they threw the book at me, well,,, my employer. It was not a fun experience. Got tickets for everything under the sun and was not able to drive the truck back home. The lady cops, were really mean to me as well and treated me like some A-hole trying to evade the law.

I just don't get the law, I want to do it right but I cannot seem to find the right answers to doing this correctly. It does not make sense that If I drive the truck a couple thousand miles every 6 months that I need the certification of a commercial driver when any Joe Schmo can rent a bigger truck from U-Haul and not need anything except for a Class A drivers license.

Can anyone shed some light on this???

Thanks!
Adam
87 300E (lots of mods)
00 Chevy 3500HD Diesel Box Truck
68 18' Donzi Marine
06 GT i-Drive7 1.0 Mountain Bike (with GPS!)

PREVIOUSLY OWNED:83 300SD, 87 420SEL, 88 420SEL, 90 420SEL, 86 560SEL, 86 190E 2.3-16V AMG, 94 E320