View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 03:15 PM

A little progress ... I finally stopped staring at stuff and actually dug in. I got ALL four subframe bolts to turn! The rear ones really worried me because they are very corroded and a bit deformed. I Kroiled them, then used a pointy punch to scrape the base of each side so the socket would fit all the way on. Because I was so afraid the socket would slip and strip the bolt, I placed a scissor jack underneath the head of the breaker bar to keep pressure on the bit while I stood back with a pipe extension and pushed. It worked! Attached a pic.
Now I'm going to remove the wheel carriers (or try) and all the bits and pieces before lowering the frame.
I'm having some trouble the with exhaust, specifically the hardware holding the assembly on at the middle (four bolts/nuts). The nuts won't turn for anything and are sort of stripping. They look like they have a little collar on the outside of them. Any trick to this or are they just seized on? I sprayed Kroil and will try again in a bit.
ALSO, do you think it would be OK to remove the axle nut with an impact wrench? I don't know if I'll have much luck getting that off ... that's a lot of torque, man. I'm almost afraid to try.
Attached Thumbnails
A subframe question (just the beginning ...)-sub1.jpg  
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)