View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by -fad
300SL??= top of the line? (a stretch of that description? and very arguable, perhaps the 600SL R129 or 600 series W140 is most recognized as "TOTL", ...following and in a bit lesser TOTL "Sport Leight" appears the 500SL)...for some reason I've considered the I6-SL's the "economy version" SL due to the lower pricing and lower equip vs. the V8 and V12 R129 (please correct me if I'm mistaken...perhaps the I6-SL is recognized as the true successor of the 50's Gullwing?)

300SL@ 228HP= overpowering? (depends on one's taste for power/ experience/ intended use- but gearing and weight of SL req much of that 228 down low)

M103@ 228HP?= would that stat be in a 'new' or 'as-new' 300SL (or euro spec? vs. N America spec?) .....if so, mostly likely there will be less than that 228 in a 10Y+ older motor/chassis version currently

500SL vs. 300SL= same? ..obiously there's more robust engineering and hardware contained in the SL600 and SL500 (accounting for the performance and price differences)

147mph= if that's a true 147mph, ...wow that's fast for a M103 SL - (or even by todays automotive standards) I'd hope to have the SL500 HD components underneath to mate w/ its top speed ability...does the I6-SL share the V8's: brakes, trans, rear end, chassis components etc.?

>I've driven the M103, M104, & M119 equipped SL's- - and the there were marked differences in the power/ refinement/ overall driving experience between them (personal preference would define which is the best fit for any individual)

Although the M103 and M104 motor'd cars edge on very adequate (imho) ...the M119 was more than enough to provide substance behind the TOTL concept

good luck and let us know how it turns out- I concluded that the SL300 and SL320 wouldn't be enough machine for my preferences.

hope this helps
-fad
Gee Thanks.... I was SOOOO unaware!! Please read the thing correct. It refers to SL's being top of the line, it refers to Mercedes being the top of the line and it reflects MY oppinion in ref to the original writer so as to assure him that anyway he goes (as long as it's a Mercedes) it'll be ok I'm very happy with mine and as far as the component difference I'm not so sure that you've got it right. The 300SL was very simple and today it costs $250K plus to own one. No, it's not as speedy and fast as a 600 nor is the trans the same or the doors for that matter, it simply means that it's a matter of personal pref. I suppose I could go buy a $1.2 Million Ferrari. Yup that's exactly what the one I'm talking about costs and I guarranty that it will blow your super sloooow 600 into the weeds... As far as 'over powering' that was in ref to PRESTIGE! If it's speed and HP you want (for what?) than you've got the wrong forum, and the wrong web site.