View Single Post
Old 02-07-2000, 08:40 AM
I have an '84 Euro 240D manual transmission. The engine dropped a valve or something. I got an '80 model 240D manual and am beginning to do the engine swap.

I have almost everything worked out for the swap. The two cars have different manual transmissions. If I need to, I can use the trans from the donor car, and move all the associated pieces which are specific to it; the clutch slave cylinder, the speedo cable, the shift rods, etc.

However, I would rather leave the transmission in the car and swap only the engine, it will be easier I think. Does anyone know if the early engine will bolt up to the transmission and have the correct clutch spline. I learned some time ago that a US car has a different spline than a Euro car, however both of these are Euro cars. I'm not too worried about the clutch, I can always use the clutch which goes with the transmission. My real concern is the bolt pattern of the rear of the engine. I know that the starters are different if you look them up in the parts books, but I haven't looked yet to see just what's different.

Thanks for any experience anyone may be able to offer.

Larry Bible
'84 Euro 240D
'88 300E 5 Speed
Over 800,000 miles in
Mercedes automobiles