View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 AM

Well... You did manage to point out nearly every concern I have with the swap.

The other concern i have is results. The 722.5 appears to have about .81 overdrive. (At least the ones attached to m104s.) That is only a 19% improvement. Which is not exactly enough. I would like to get something in the .68 range. Which is a more common ratio in the 722.6.

The 722.6 IS computer controlled, while the 722.5 is hydraulically controlled.(as i recall)

So... I could go ahead and put a 2004r from a chevy in there. and have an adapter plate machined, and a custom ring gear made.. and modify the driveshaft, the cross-member, and set up a TV bracket... Basically a real hassle.

The easy route is swapping in a diff from a 560se/l. Going from a 3.48 rear to a 2.47 rear will garner the results i am after. However, I do fear that the already lackluster performance will become downright 240D like.

I could go bat feces crazy and pick up a 2001 chevy van with a 5.3l v8 and 4l80e and swap that in there. The 2001-2003 chevys have pretty simple emission control devices, so getting the car reffed should be "easy". And By "easy" I really mean "nearly impossible".

But it would be nice to get 325hp and get somewhere near 30mpg on the highway.

I do plan on picking up a 300SD at some point and doing that swap(Bi-turbo just to be ridiculous too). I think I will do some more research on the trans swap... and then buy a differential.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.
Joe