View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 PM

The no-name caliper is an ATE. The circle in the casting is the same as the one on a spare ATE I have for my 123. I cleaned and looked a little closer and I can barely make out the logo.

My big problem is the carbs. Here are the symptoms:

Pull choke all the way out. Turn it over. Nothing.

Wait a minute.

Pull choke all the way out. Turn it over. Pump gas. Nothing.

Wait a minute.

Pull the choke all the way out. Turn it over. Pump gas. Choke in and out, in and out. Nothing.

Wait a minute.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Wait 2 minutes.

Pull choke all the way out. Turn it over. Catches, then dies.

Wait 2 minutes.

Pull choke all the way out. Turn it over. Catches then dies.

Wait 2 minutes.

Pull choke all the way out. Turn it over. Catches, tries harder to start with gas pumping, then dies.

Wait 2 minutes.

Pull choke all the way out. Turn it over. Catches, starts with gas pumping. But dies.

Pull choke all the way out. Turn it over. Catches, starts with gas pumping. Get it to medium high revs. Push choke halfway in.

Keep pressure on gas pedal to keep from dying.

Let engine warm up for 4 or 5 minutes.

Put in reverse. Dies.

Repeat starting procedure. Starts better.

Put in reverse. Tries to stall but giving gas keeps it moving. Stop to reverse directions.

Put in 4. Dies.

Repeat starting procedure. Starts much easier.

Put in 4. Pump gas to keep it from dying. Car moves forward.

Drive car. Stays running with foot on brake at stops. Take it out of gear and put in 4, car stalls.

Starts right up. Almost stalls when putting in 4 but if use gas pedal right, car drives.

Turn off car after drive. Car starts right up again.

The idle speed is turned up a reasonable amount and I have adjusted the idle mixture. Carbs not synchronized (not sure yet how to do this). It just seems like the carb is not feeding enough fuel in choke mode. Choke throttle plate fully closes in both carburetors. Can't find any vacuum leaks around the carb. The bimetal diverter springs in the intake manifold are not operational, but I've never had this cause this kind of problem on my other cars.

Again, I would appreciate any insight any of you might have.

"Where are we going? And why am I in this hand basket?"