View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W124 E300D View Post
Part of what we all had to study / learn is all, there is nothing new about vegetable oil.
-------
When I say 2500 RPM limit, it isn't a hard limit, and there are a lot of variables, with a little trig you can work out max piston speeds at a given rpm for various strokes, but the variation isn't as big as many people think, and the reason is piston speed is related to flame path speed.
-------
What it boils down to is the VO, and it's closest dino relative #4 or #5 oil, works best in a bigger, heavier, slower revving diesel, like a truck diesel.

-------
All you "hand loader" americans should "get" this intuitively.
(above post edited for space)

So what type of VO are you basing you initial numbers off of?

Since it seems you love the off topic nationalistic jabs , to that point, we can discuss what kind of oils are available in what countries, which may have some bearing on your equation.

I have been told that pure Rapeseed oil is the VO of choice in Germany, how about in the UK?
In the US, the most common source of oil is waste oil bins and for free or extremely cheap, using an enormous variety of oil stock, all with different specifications. With that issue, it is very difficult to create hard data in the way you have done in an earlier post.
Like I said earlier, here its a non regulated fuel meaning that there are huge differences in one sample from another.

To address another one of your comments-

"So basically, you have to do 10,000 miles, 100% trouble free, to break even."

You say this like its an argument against putting in a system because it will take a while to pay off. You also come up with that number based on the fact that you are paying for VO in your part of the world, an additional cost and more time.

Most people drive 10-20 thousand miles in a year, others more. I personally drive off 10,000 miles in 4 months usually.

A third of a year to a half a year to reach the 0 mark on money invested is a pretty good return on investment. After that, assuming no problems, the rest is money in your pocket. Most things in life don't pay off that fast.

Its extremely cost effective for the most part.