View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM

No luck. I've been at this for five days now and made zero progress. I did try to basically drill out the rubber portion of the bushing, but it's much harder than I thought, and all I've done is weaken the rubber, so there's no hope of pulling the bushing off using force applied to the rubber. I torched the metal part quite a bit and hammered the living heck out of it and it won't even wince. Also tried clamping it in vice grips and prying at it with every bar, screw driver, wedge, punch, etc. in the garage. The only thing I haven't tried is drilling straight into the metal part of the bushing like billybob suggested, which is basically the last resort. I run the risk of damaging the post, but at this point, it's the only way to get it off, and if I don't, the car is finished anyway. This is ridiculous. If I had any idea this would happen, I would never have attempted this.
I will also pick up an air chisel at HF tomorrow, and see if there's any puller or spreader that looks like it might work. I don't quite understand the harmonic balancer puller approach, since it would just put force on the rubber and I need something to pull on the metal (especially now that I destroyed the rubber). But maybe if I actually look at the pullers, I'll get a brainstorm.
I think I'll end up trying the drilling tomorrow evening, and just be very careful to measure where to drill to try my best to avoid hitting the post itself. I practiced drilling in the spare, and it is a pretty easy material to drill into.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)