View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 PM

wow, CPS change is a PITA. but I think I got it this time. :)

OK- just swapped out the CPS on this thing. What a PITA.

for the record, I needed the following

1) 5MM 3/8 drive MALE ALLEN socket. Yes, it's an allen head on this car. Obviously, a socket wrench too.

IT IS NOT A E8 TORX LIKE COMMONLY REPORTED ON THE ML320 AND LATER CARS.

2)- 24" extension 3/8" drive (NOTE: 1/4" drive is too small to try the drop the extension into the socket trick below, just my opinion)

3)- a fairly stiff 3/8" flex joint. One that does not flop around as you move it.

4) 10MM combination wrench to loosen harness attached to starter.

Jack and jackstands (Please don't be stupid and get underneath a car just supported by a jack)

You will be working under the approximate area of the starter on the driver's side, behind the front left wheel.

Loosen 10MM bolt holding harness to starter body, take out bolt and move harness out of way.

Fight, wrestle, cuss, cry and pray to wedge your hand in the area around the starter till you feel a plastic plug approx 5/8" in diameter. Right next to that, you will feel the 5MM allen head bolt, it's between the plastic plug and the firewall. Due to space this is torture, its one of THOSE types of repair jobs.

Cram the 5MM allen socket into the bolt holding the sensor in place, beware, this is NOT a pleasant task, you will be fumbling things around and you could easily spend 30 minutes trying to get this step done. Once it's in there it will basically be touching the firewall at an angle, so spend a few minutes getting that situated in there then go to the top of the engine.

Flash a light down in that area around the starter and you will see your socket. Attach the 3/8" drive universal to your extension, carefully lower it down in there and pray you get it attached to the allen socket you have placed in the bolt. This is why you need a fairly stiff joint to accomplish this.

Once you have the allen in place it's pretty secure so you can give it a knock or two and it'll be ok. just do your best to get the universal joint into the socket, and press down to latch the extension and joint to the allen socket.

Sounds hokey, but I was able to both loosen the bolt this way, and reattach the socket to tighten it with this method, easily hitting the mark both times.

Pull the sucker straight out, unplug the harness, and install is reverse. It takes a while, not terribly difficult, but trying for sure. If you have very large hands, well I'm sorry.

If you have big hands, take it to a shop, your best bet.

As for the sensor that came out, it was sitting at 1040 ohms cold, and when boiled for a just a minute went to 1255 ohms and spiked at 1400 ohms after a few minutes.

Like a dummy I didnt measure the resistance of the new sensor I was in a hurry to get this over with.

However, it's been 45 minutes of heat soak, idling, and loading this engine and NOT ONE STALL SO FAR.

I think I got it this time.

crossing fingers

Tags, M104 CPS crankshaft position sensor C36 reference sensor changing CPS sensor.
1989 Silverado Step Side (under the knife- complete restomod)

Last edited by RANDY P; 11-13-2010 at 10:03 PM.